Hit the Slopes Prepared and Injury Free
Snowboarding preparation requires optimizing balance, core strength, endurance, and flexibility. The better your pre-season routine, the more you will enjoy your trips to the slopes while also minimizing your risk of injury. Just as you tune your gear, you should tune your body. Some helpful tips include:
• Plan on preparing for a month (3–4 times a week for 4 weeks) before strapping on your snowboard.
• Make sure your equipment is clean, properly fitted and in good working order.
• Make sure you have all the necessary equipment to participate safely: helmet, goggles, and gloves (for beginners strongly consider wrist guards too).
• Make sure boots fit well and bindings are in good working condition.
• Make sure you have clothing appropriate for the temperature and conditions.
• Stay hydrated during the day by taking frequent breaks or carrying water with you. Some sample workouts which can help increase core strength and stamina for snowboarding preparation are noted in the table. Doing this preparation cannot guarantee safety or fun, but it certainly will help, and may get you more fit in the process.
Enjoy the snow!